- 1 pkg active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup ice-cold water
- 1 Tbl sugar
- 1 Tbl salt
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- About 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 cups flour
1. In a small bowl stir yeast into warm water. Let stand until yeast dissolved, about 5 minutes.
2. In another bowl, mix cold water, sugar, and salt until dissolved. Stir in olive oil.
3. In Bocsh mixer, place 5 1/4 cups flour. Add yeast mixture to flour along with cold-water mixture. Beat the dough on low with dough hook until smooth not sticky, about 12 minutes. (This recipe works best in a Bocsh. It is really heavy and can stop up the mixer. You can do it in other mixers, just make sure you let the motor cool off periodically.)
4. Scrape dough onto floured surface. Cut dough in half. Pull edges together on bottom and pinch and seal to form a tight ball. Place each ball into gallon size Ziploc bag and squeeze air out. Place in fridge leaving enough room for ball to double in size.
Chill at least 10 hours or up to 2 days ahead.
Recipe makes 2 pizzas
Quick Pizza Sauce
In a bowl, mix 1 can (14oz or 1 3/4 cups) chopped or diced tomatoes including juices, 1 (6oz) can tomato paste, 2 Tbl chopped fresh basil leaves, or 2 tsp dried basil, 1 1/2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano. 1 1/2 tsp sugar, and 1/2 tsp chopped garlic. Add salt to taste. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.