Here's a winner I made recently. It's so fast and easy, but best of all, my kids really liked it. Don't be afraid to add the pine nuts - the kids really liked those! I served this with some homemade bread, salad, and fresh strawberries. Yum!
Penne with Ricotta and Pine Nuts
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta (health food store)
- 1 1/2 pound baby spinach, washed
- 2 Tb olive oil
- Course salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Spread the pine nuts on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in the oven, tossing occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spinach penne until al dente according to package directions, adding the fresh spinach during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain; return the pasta and spinach to the pot.
- Add the olive oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Serve immediately, topped with the ricotta, pine nuts, and parmesan.
I just stirred in the pine nuts and cheeses. It didn't look as pretty, but I have found that it's better with the kids if you don't give them options. You better try this. It doesn't get any easier than that!