Thursday, November 8, 2007

Hypothyroidism

For the last 4 years I have struggled with hypothyroidism. I have constantly been looking for the 'magic' cure. I have held the belief that somewhere out there, there is a way to return me to my old self. But all the different avenues I have taken, I have still yet to find my cure. I still have hypothyroidism.

I have come to a point where I need to ask myself, "what if I can't be cured?" what if, no matter how bad I want it, I can never go back. What if this is as good as it gets and I have to move forward?

I have met people along the way who I never knew struggled with their health. They suffer quietly and continue on with a smile on their face. How I admire those people. I love that they keep moving forward and play with the hand that is dealt them.

It has made me realize that I might need to refocus my efforts on being healed versus being cured. I read an article recently that spelled out the difference.
Being healed means,
  • Accepting myself as I am, even loving myself as I am, with whatever limitations I currently have, without giving up hope that I can improve - in both mind and body
  • Refusing to live in the past, and refusing to worry about the future, but instead, living for now, enjoying this time, now
  • Learning how to value myself for what's really important, my spirit, my kindness, how I live my life, instead of focusing on the superficialities such as weight changes, thinning hair, a sick thyroid, not having enough energy to be everything to everyone, and other imperfections
  • And, above all, finding within the cloud of disease, the silver lining, the positive effects that thyroid disease has had on my life. If you think about it, there have to be some good things that have come from it. Empathy for others. Compassion at a deeper level. Dear friends I have had to rely on. It's helped me focus on my family and things that are important.

Ups and downs in health may always be there throughout our life, but there's one thing that no pill or endocrinologist or herb can change, and that's how we choose to live our lives, and whether our health controls us, or vice versa.

10 comments:

Eldon said...

Amen. Seems like that is the battle in all areas of life, accepting who we are which is usually not exactly what we had hoped for or expected.

Shari Goodman said...

Have you read Tuesdays with Morrie? I am just finishing it and it is exactly what you are talking about. If you haven't, you will love it. We waste so much time focusing on things that don't matter, one day we will die and wonder why we worried so much about our thighs ! Why we didn't just be thankful that we had legs that worked!

Lauren said...

That is a great attitude. I hate to hear about your hypothyroidism; but I always think that God never gives you more than you can handle...and you seem like the type of person that can most anything. I hope that everything works out for you..keep your chin up!

Unknown said...

I love this! Thank you for being so open! It feels applicable to so many things. I think about the pain of disappointment or unmet expectations and the healing we need. Ultimately we'll all come to the Savior... One way or another. I'm sorry that your body has to suffer in the process though. Thanks for being my new friend!

Laurel said...

Super inspiring post! I love the idea of being healed rather than cured. I can use that in a couple of areas of my life. I think you have really hit on something here. Something that everyone of us has to figure out during this life trip. I wonder if we could do it without our specific trials. I would like to think so, but I truly doubt it.

Summer said...

What a positive attitude to take!! I think we are all challenged in different ways and regardless of the challenge if we keep this attitude it's possible to push through. I know I don't know you super well but I totally admire you. You are amazing!

Megan said...

Isn't it funny? Life? The ups. The downs. The in betweens. The upside downs. Change...it's constant. Working through trials shows us that even when sorrow and disappointment come one after another, the human spirit has the capacity and power to overcome, not just with stoic dignity, but with joy and thanksgiving. How? Gratitude. Inspite of what may be wrong, there is an abundance of good in life. Hence, the good apple! So fitting and you didn't even know it! Gratitude is a virtue so powerful it can cause us to transcend any trial, and leave us rejoicing in the good that touches us each day. Rather than becoming defeated by life's difficulties, you have risen above it all and are now "aware" of the blessings that surround you. Despair often accompanies adversity but gratitude will bring you to a place of hope and peace. Because of your experiences your life will be enriched and you will be an instrument in elevating the lives of your friends, family and acquaintances. You go girl! Here is a quote for you:"I sit alone and commune with my heart, pleased with my little corner of the earth, glad that I came." -Edward Fitzgerald
I'm glad you came!

Kate said...

I have the same thing.. and have felt the same way - the lack of energy- the struggle with my body... etc.etc. It is so frustrating- but everything you have said is sooo... true. I have been on medication and it has helped a lot- but now I am beginning to feel the tiredness and exhaustion and I am getting worried. I wish you the best... and hope you have a good Doctor.

mumovearls said...

Thanks so much for your post I have been struggling with the same thing for the past 6 years and have yet to find a cure mine keeps getting lower I have take (2) 175 pills a day, I am so glad that other people struggle with the same thoughts and I'm not the only one-Nena

Shirley Donalds said...

Bovine thyroid supplements are very effective, it contains natural ingredients which brings good results every time.

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS