Makes 12 to 16
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
2. Cut butter into pieces and work it in with your fingers until course and crumbly. Stir in cheese.
3. Make a well in the center of flour mixture, pour in milk, and stir with a fork just until dough comes together. DO NOT overmix. Turn onto a lightly floured counter and knead gently 10 to 12 times. Count out loud and resist temptation to knead more.
4. Pat dough into a circle about 1/2 thick. Cut out biscuits with a 2 inch round cutter. (If you don't have one, be creative. I have used the lid off the Pam before but a smaller one works better). Transfer biscuit to a lightly buttered baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve HOT!